Shrimp and Grits
Uncle Ray’s Food & Liquor
Shrimp and Grits
- 12oz Old Bay Marinated Pacific White Shrimp 26/30
- 1L Cooked White Corn Grits
- 500mL Hock Stock
- 2oz Brown-Sugar Cured Bacon
- 1 cup Aged White Cheddar, grated
- 500mL Mustard Greens, prepared
- 1pc Lemon
- 1 bunch Green Onion
- 2 fl oz Hot Honey
ITEMS NOT PROVIDED:
Make sure you’ve got a Roasting Tray, a Medium Pot, a Small Sauce Pot, two Large Non-Stick Frying Pans, a Chef’s Knife, Cutting Board, and a Whisk. It’s also ideal to have a few staples on hand like Kosher Salt or Sea Salt, some Finishing Salt, a Pepper Mill with Peppercorns, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and Unsalted Butter. Now, let’s get cooking!
1. With a knife, open bag of Stock and transfer to a large measuring cup.
1. Wash Green Onion under cold running water and pat dry.
2. Transfer to a clean cutting surface and on a 45° bias thinly slice Green Onion and set aside for later.
WHITE CORN GRITS
1. Add a ½ cup water to a medium size pot, add in the Grits, and heat over medium high heat.
2. Use a whisk to break down the Grits and work out any lumps.
3. Once hot, stir in the cheese and 2 tablespoons of Butter. Adjust consistency with more water if needed.
SAUTÉED OLD BAY MARINATED SHRIMP & BACON GRAVY
1. In a sauté or frying pan, add Olive Oil and heat over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
2. Once pan is hot add Shrimp and cook until flesh starts to become white.
3. Using tongs, turn Shrimp over and continue to cook.
4. Add cut Bacon and cook for 2-5 minutes to render Bacon.
5. Add Hock Stock to the pan and reduce heat to medium low.
6. Continue to cook until Shrimp is firm and Stock is reduced by half.
7. Once sauce is gravy like, squeeze in juice of one Lemon.
PREPARED MUSTARD GREENS
1. In a small saucepan, warm prepared Mustard Greens until desired temperature is reached.
- White Corn Grits
- Hot and ready sautéed Shrimp and Bacon
- Sliced Green Onion
- 1 fl oz Hot Honey
- Warm Mustard Greens
1. Place Grits in an even layer in a large bowl.
2. Top Grits with Shrimp in the center of the bowl on top of the Grits.
3. Add cooked Bacon and pour gravy over top of the Grits.
4. Garnish with Green Onion in a circular fashion around the Shrimp and Grits, and finish with Hot Honey sauce.
5. Plate Mustard Greens in a small serving bowl and enjoy!